Issue 63 – Summer 2018
On the front cover:
Terry Clawson – one of the game’s great characters.
- Terry Clawson remembered by ex-Wakefield full-back Les Sheard.
- The infamous Watersplash Wembley Final – 50 years on.
- Welsh Codebreakers – a view from Wales you’ve never read before.
- Maurice Bamford recalls the hardmen, including Jim Mills & Spanky McFarlane.
- Hull’s best hookers – from Tommy Harris to Danny Houghton.
- Scotsman Hugh Duffy as Salford took Rugby League to Old Trafford.
- York and Bradford Northern in the 1978 Yorkshire Cup Final.
- Featherstone Rovers in the special season of 1959-60.
- The Constable Street youth team of Hull – Cup winners in 1963.
- Wigan St.Patrick’s boys representing Great Britain.
- When Blackpool Borough became the Milers.
- Halifax and their Welsh full-backs – Garfield Owen, Ronnie James and more.
- Jimmy Hoey of Widnes completing his history-making scoring record.
- Jean Dop – the brave and crazy French star of the ’fifties.
- ‘A’ Teams have a special place – starting with Leeds ‘A’ at Headingley.
- Mike Elliott – a great Welsh winger for Oldham.
- Joe Stewart – an unsung hero for Whitehaven and Cumbria county.
- Swinton’s 1969 Lancashire Cup winners, Bob Fleet and Rodney Smith.
- Remembering the greats of Warrington – Gerry Helme and Gerry Lowe.
- Barefoot boys from Papua New Guinea – the 1966 tourists recalled.
- When Swinton’s legendary secretary Vic Jones met ‘Mr.Manchester’ Tony Wilson.
- Touchdowns by Ted Slevin (Wigan) and Gerry Round (Wakefield Trinity).
- Whitehaven versus Oldham – a week before President Kennedy’s murder in 1963.
Team photos including: Hull K.R. (1985 Champions), Leigh (1974-75), Doncaster (1962) England (1980 at Narbonne), Huddersfield (1962 Cup semi-final team).
Obituaries and tributes to: Geoff Pimblett (St.Helens), Cliff Watson (St.Helens), Gerry Lowe (Warrington & Keighley), Les Pearce (Halifax & Wales), Gary Jordan (Featherstone), Brian Hatch (Hull K.R.), Roy Haggerty (St.Helens), Colin Battye (Castleford), Kevin Hansen & Wayne Gaskell (Warrington), Steve Folkes (Australia), Dave Callaghan (Yorkshire Sports broadcaster), Charlie Stone (Featherstone & Hull), Charles Galaup (French 1951 tourist), Jim Cartledge (Liverpool City), Percy Landsberg (St.Helens), Joey Lowe (Doncaster), Gerry Fairhurst (Wigan St.Patrick’s).
PLUS MUCH, MUCH MORE